Ethics at work
Writing pledges makes it harder to ignore the things I say I believe in.
The Public Good
These pledges are specific to this website. Since I'm working alone, and the site is simple, the focus is on better outcomes for readers.
- I pledge to support opinions and statements with data.
- I pledge to provide links to sources.
- I pledge to follow web standards.
- I pledge to test performance using third party tools.
- I pledge to set performance and sustainability budgets.
- I pledge to use third party code only when it adds demonstrable value to the project.
- I pledge to write software for all devices and browsers.
- I pledge not to use practices identified as dark patterns.
- I pledge to balance privacy, security, and usability.
- I pledge not to sell, exchange or exploit user data.
I stand by the pledges espoused by ResponsibleTech.Work.
When working with others, I make the following commitments:
- I pledge to speak to people in other teams in order to understand their work and needs.
- I pledge to document decisions critical to the project.
- I pledge to be fair to and supportive of team members.
- I pledge to share my experience and knowledge with team members.
- I pledge to prevent or stop unlawful demands or requests that are damaging to users.
- I pledge to write code that can be easily maintained.
- I pledge to consider the developers that come after me.
- I pledge not to undertake new work without first evaluating its cost.
- I pledge to avoid irreversible decisions.
- I pledge to write code in line with common conventions and recognised good practice.
- I pledge to write software that is extensible if required.